While our Hubbell Apartment Living team is focused on emergency maintenance around the community, here are some easy routine maintenance items you can take care of around your apartment.
General Maintenance Tips:
- AC filters are able to be changed easily. First, remove the old one (sizes are on the side) by either twisting the knobs to open the vent or unscrewing the screws. Place the new filter in place of the old one and tighten screw or knob to hold vent back in place.
- Light bulbs that are not considered a specialty bulb are easily changed by unscrewing with your hand. Most kitchen lights or LEDs may need our assistance. Best practice is to ensure the light is not on and the bulb is not hot to the touch.
- Tubs and sinks that won't drain typically have a clog. This is generally a buildup of hair that can be removed with a hooked tool. Best practice is to purchase a drain/shower strainer to catch things.
- With us not entering your home regularly, you are able to perform testing to lessen the occurrence of sudden issues. You can test your smoke alarm and CO detector (if present) by pressing the test button. Hold it down for a few seconds until you hear a noise. Other detectors should typically sound as well.
- Do not overfill your fridge/freezer to allow space for cooling. This is the most common cause of not cooling properly.
- We recommend regular cleaning of plumbing areas and appliances to reduce a buildup or breakage and pest issues.
- Check for leaks regularly to reduce water consumption. Your toilet or heating/cooling system constantly running can impact your utility bills.
Garbage Disposal Tips:
There are common misconceptions for how garbage disposals operate. Most often, a clogged sink can be due to a clogged disposal. This can also cause a backup into your dishwasher of what is stuck in there. Please refrain from putting the following items down your sink.
- Grains such as rice and pasta
- Coffee grounds
- Potato peels
- Onion skins
- Fruit pits
- Corn husks
- Non-food items
In the event your garbage disposal does not make a sound when turned on, try pushing the reset button on the underside of the disposal. This is typically red in color. Always run cold water when using the disposal.
No matter what the package says, there are items you absolutely should not flush down your toilet.
- Cotton swabs/balls
- Feminine products
- Wipes (all kinds)
- Paper towels
- Excessive toilet paper
In the event of your toilet overflowing, the knob leading from the toilet to the wall should be turned to the right until the water stops running. Plunging your toilet should correct the stoppage in most cases.
Heating & Cooling Tips:
Thermostat settings can be the quickest fix to issues with your central air system. Setting your thermostat to "Auto" is best practice to ensure your system regulates the inside temperature. Putting it to "On" will trigger it to run constantly.
Replace your filter every 1-3 months to maintain proper airflow. Outside temperatures can, at times, impact inside temperatures. Emergencies are for non-working heat with outside temperatures below 50 and non-working AC with outside temps above 80 degrees.
Your system can freeze and stop working properly or even cause leaks with certain temperature settings.